Wednesday, December 02, 2009

I used to be a Boiler Man


super heated steam re-boilered in the extreme shooting plasmic condensates at extremely high rates - the roiling fires flame impinges on the steel belly of the beast, migrating as radiant heat, slides into water as bubbles rising in a crescendo, accumulating in a rumble, thundering down the pipe, bellowing with hiss

I'm a Fourth Class Steam Engineer also known as a Stationary engineer here-abouts and this is how I got my start in 'Puters as they became our monitoring equipment in the early eighties although the gauges measuring pressure and temperature were and still are relied upon -- I once had a fire-box explosion which blew out the stack access and rumbled the building to the top 12th floor - a leaky seal and oil accumulated in the fire-box -- I saw everything in slow motion - the brik-a-brak blowing from the stack, the boiler jumping on the spot, my life I had forgot...

in the language of steam condensates - head of steam indicated how much pressure you could raise and feet of head meant you could raise more BTU's like a tempest in a boiler plated with bolts the size of your fist, squealed out the seams as a fiery mist: the works were many from mines to sub-basements in commercial buildings - I once managed Government Buildings in Winnipeg with centralized steam boilers spewing white condensate into the frigid clear skies

I'd say my worst nightmare job as a boiler man was in an abattoir where dead farm animals, some alive, would be screwed up to a thrasher and steam pummeled for a long time -- the oils called tallow were sent out east to become the base of perfumes in a storage car -- while the 'meal' left over was made into dog and cat foods -- I smelled of death in those days

No comments: