Friday, June 23, 2006

I awoke from a feverish dream

On my birthday, June 21st, Aboriginal day and the Summer Solstice, I awoke from a feverish dream; I am watching the sky, I see thousands of Eagles flying from East to West. I go into the building behind me to tell others.

A native elder, sick from long years of neglect and abuse, comes out to look. His body as old as Earth itself, his eyes as bright as the Sky. By the time we get out, the last of the Eagles has disappeared behind some high clouds. The elder looks up. He says he sees them, and would have a recording on his PC using a sky WebCam. We go into his rooms and he let's me tinker with his machines as I am trying to play back the recording. It takes some fussing about.

We are sitting across from each other. The elder tells me the stories that he is keeper of.

The elder continues...

He says that the land has become sick; like him, like me and like you. That a healing crises is imminent. The Eagles are gathering, he said.

"The Earth is running a slight fever from greenhouse gases, after enjoying relatively stable temperatures for 2,000 years. The National Academy of Sciences, after reconstructing global average surface temperatures for the past two millennia, said Thursday the data are "additional supporting evidence … that human activities are responsible for much of the recent warming."

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=2108649

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/22/ap/tech/mainD8IDH6HO6.shtml

http://www.wired.com/wireservice/story.php?nosubnav=true§ion=Science&storyId=1539693

No comments: